Monday, 12 December 2011

Bloke Du Jour

I've totally lost count. Today brought another haphazard straggle of local blokes, refreshingly none called Greg. Find Of The Day was Friendly Giant Man 2 in the hardware shop - a strapping young fellow called Bjorn but known locally as Boodgie. He's a builder! I had him round fifteen minutes later to look at the archway & kitchen work, he'll be round tomorrow. Apparently. ("Tomorrow" can mean "next week or something" out here).

While we were discussing how to destroy the hideously filthy kitchen, Barry from up the road came & asked if he could have any old air cons I was throwing out. Yes! I soon had him pulling out air cons & signed him up for some gutting work. He tried the old "where's your hubby" line but I quickly steered the conversation back to power tools (I'm pretty sure Barry does not have his own plane).

Then Darcy and Matty came round with the new gas bottles (the big ones to supply gas for the hot water system etc). Matty's also the new tyre repair guy. He tried the hubby line as well but I said I was holding out for the private plane, then made him take my bike on the ute to get the back tyre fixed (those damn double-gees keep puncturing tyres). Because of the totally unpredictable bloke turnup I just keep a big list on a whiteboard and the tools laid out like a catering table so I can hand them out as visitors arrive.

The heat is unbelievable, and we're still not in the real hot weather. It's tropical storm season, so the humidity is insane. Sweat just pouring off me. I was transplanting my tomato seedlings, and had to cool the new soil down with water for an hour before I could put them in - the dirt was so hot it burned my hands. Electrolytes and litres and litres of water all day, cool off in the pool every hour or your head feels like it will boil.

No comments:

Post a Comment