Daily routine gets weirder as the heat climbs. The only really comfortable time is between about 4 and 7 am; after about 9 or 10 pm it sort of cools off...well, gets "less hot" would be a better description. So I'm doing a lot of renovating at night, sleeping for a few hours, then going out in the very early morning with Honey for a walk or a ramble, then alternating between short bursts of work and passing out in the pool as the air becomes a furnace, baking off the red soil (you can seriously get second degree burns on your feet if you don't wear shoes). Christ knows what 50 degrees will feel like; I'll be shutting myself in the bedroom with the air con on full blast. Maybe I can borrow Scott's Dexter collection....I've ordered a stack of DVD's from Amazon to get me through.
Most mornings I'm on the phone, ordering and organising stuff to come up from Geraldton on the big freight truck, or trying to find air con installers and crap (the tradies here are flat out doing the mine camps, then they're all running away down the coast). I would love to go exploring in the bus but it's just too goddam hot. Weirdly, because it's actually cyclone season, you can also get stuck in floods and stuff when you least expect it - those seemingly apocryphal stories of tourists being swept away in flash floods in the middle of a sunny dry desert are all too true.
Working at the aged care hostel will be a welcome diversion (it's air conditioned), but even though it's only a few blocks away you still feel like one of those skeletal parched Death Valley victims crawling on your hands and knees begging for water by the time you get there. I can't take Honey out during the day, her feet would burn on the pavement. Thank god for The Pooool....
No comments:
Post a Comment