Getting a tradie in Meeka is a challenging task. Don't bother using the phone! You need an alert mind, fast bicycle and a commitment to lying in wait at the pub. I chased Brian down on my bike and caught him at the St John Ambulance shed where I talked him into squeezing in a fencing job for me. I also cornered Friendly Giant man in the hardware store but sadly he's with a mining crew, but I later ran into Bored Truck Driving Man who's going out of his mind waiting for a new engine part & said he might come round to help if the parts don't arrive today (there's not much to do in Meeka).
I've also met Cameron the black Scottish guy who turns out to be the volunteer fire & rescue captain AND a tradie, so he's going to come round next Wednesday. They are looking for more volunteers so he talked me into joining up. Most of their callouts are for truck rollovers & vehicle accidents, and putting out fires that the kids light down at the creek. Some of the callouts can be a hundred kilometres away, so it should be pretty interesting. They send you down to Perth and Geraldton to do courses. I can see myself cutting some truck driver out of a wreck: "Promise you'll come and do some angle grinding at the house and I'll see if I can save your lower legs."
Mick finally escaped from work long enough to have a look at the house & is coming over on Sunday to cut out the bedroom archway; he started ripping the kitchen bench out with his bare hands ("just havin' a look."). I've lost track of the other blokes who have said they should be able to pop round "sometime"; I think we're up to John, Damien, Scott, Scotty, Greg, Greg, Greg, Greg, and Other Greg. Patreen has already pencilled me in to cook and clean at the Doray Minerals mining camp next year, and Hazel is trying to rope me into working at the aged care hostel.
So if any of you need work, come on over - it will only be 48 degrees every day in a week or so!
No comments:
Post a Comment