Monday, 19 December 2011

Friends Of The Rainbow Serpent

At the shops, I heard an aboriginal woman's voice behind me saying "Are you allright sista? You okay after yesterday?" I turned around and met Delice, who as it turns out saw the midget thieves and my pursuit yesterday. "I went round to their parents and dobbed em in the lot of em!" she said. "Little buggas!" I told her about the Rainbow Serpent threat and she cracked up. "Yeah they was shit scared allright!" she said.

Delice lives up the hill and said she keeps an eye on "them kids", I thanked her for her concern and help; I was glad to hear that there are some people in the aboriginal community who aren't putting up with it. She also warned me they might try to siphon petrol out of the bus to sniff it (jesus christ! these kids are like five years old!) - it's diesel though which means they might have a go but will leave it alone when they realise it's not petrol. You hear things like that, which are really happening literally on your doorstep, and you feel like you've stepped into an alternative reality - or insanity. What possible hope have these kids got? There's no government funded program in the universe that can repair five year olds sniffing petrol.

At least Delice's concern made me feel less like I'm in a white vs. black community, which is what it seems like at times. But the Rainbow Serpent will not rest! Latest plan is to hang giant rubber snakes in the trees next door with red glowing eyes at night. But I boringly bought a security light and a chain/lock for the gate in the meantime.

No comments:

Post a Comment