Friday, 4 November 2011

An Amazing Place

No photos yet as the weather has been too grey, but I went to Peace Gorge, which is about 3 km out of town. Wow! WOW! Huge red boulder piles and Africa-like veldt plains weaving around them. It goes on for miles. It's not really a defined gorge as such but more like a winding random eroded landscape with endless gullies, mini gorges, caves and boulder outcrops. I keep finding what are probably gemstones on our rambles, things like jasper and possibly some veriscite. No gold yet. The metal detector keeps detecting old bullet casings.

In town, the highlight of the week was Melbourne Cup Day so we popped in to the pub for a snack & to watch the horses run. Everyone in town was there, laying bets. I left early so sadly I missed the huge miner brawl which took place ("Whut are you lookin at?" "Step outside and we'll settle this man to man" etc).

We went to the hospital to get some prescriptions filled - they fax the script through to Geraldton, and the freight service brings it to the post office next day. Today's job is to organise a bulk meat order with the travelling butcher. A second-hand dealer comes through town with a big truck once a month, so I'll be on to him for some stuff for the house next week. Brian is lending us the big diesel tray truck so we can go to Geraldton in a week or so to pick up Bunnings stuff, groceries and any furniture we need. It's 600 km away so I am madly making lists. First stop will be a swim in the ocean!

No comments:

Post a Comment