Oh, it's on. It's ON. Gubby came round to show me his Mexican cowboy hat and before I knew it, he, Damien and I were goodnaturedly arguing over going to the tip that day (to look for "good stuff" to take home for projects - there's no Bunnings here so we have to make do with scavenging). This is way beyond prawns & sirloin strips.
Damien gets up super early every day to do a tip scavenge, so he's been getting the gems. "Ah, yer got that desk the council chucked out did yer?" "Yeah! Awesome!" "Had me eye on it meself...yer not going to the tip today are yer?" "Might." "Nah." "Yer." "Hm." I look at Damien with narrowed eyes. "You're not taking heaps of those wooden pallets are you?" "Umm..yer...a few..."
I suggested we start a roster system, then Damien threw in his idea of starting a "tip shop" which brought on a grim cowboy saloon staring silence. "Eh?" Me: "Don't you dare!" Anyway, as I pointed out, I'm on the tip side of town with a view of the main street, so I'm the first to see the goodies leaving town. Just a matter of having the bus parked in pursuit mode. Gubby is now trying to get up earlier than Damien...what cracks me up is how we marvel jealously over finds such as a stack of plastic milk crates (shelving, walls, storage) or styrofoam catering boxes (eskys, planter boxes, walls, storage) (people fight over these). The other two hot items are wooden pallets and industrial plastic pipe, which nearly everyone uses to make sheds & greenhouses (hard to describe).
Time to sign off for the night, gotta go set up my tip roadblock.
No comments:
Post a Comment