Friday, 25 November 2011

A Stranger Comes To Town

Waggin' Trail is set up in the backyard at the Tasmanians' house on Main Street. Got in around sunset & was promptly offered a cold shower & delicious hot meal. The Tasmanians are: Patrine & Damien and their two boys, DJ (7, hilarious) and Jack (12, sulking about Xbox), Hazel (grandmother) and Sunshine (grandfather). Sunshine is an old friend of Ian's and the whole family have kind of taken me under their wing. How they came to Meeka and what they're doing is so insanely complicated that I am not going to try to explain it here.

So the hot gossip in town now is...me! Sunshine had me in fits laughing at the stories that are floating around about me buying the house. Apparently at least 2 locals are kicking themselves for not buying it ("careful love - they might try ta undercut ya contract!"). Sunshine is a very skilled jack of all trades and is trying to boss me around with what I should get him to do to the house, which by my estimate will cost about fifty million dollars if I let him loose in there. "I'll bring in a team of blokes, we'll knock some walls out, do it up like you won't believe". He's a generous bloke of the whatever-you-suggest-it's-wrong school of thought, so it should be pretty entertaining when we get to work on the house.

With a firm reminder from the real estate agent that we are actually under a legal contract which is rapidly coming to its due date, the wretched tenant is FINALLY packing her stuff (I rode past & checked this morning) and I have final inspection on Sunday. So I'll have a few days here in the bus with the portable air conditioner running on a fifty foot extension lead to the Tasmanians' shed. Smokey is sleeping in the bougainvillea.

No comments:

Post a Comment