I don't think so. What kind of sick bastard would invent cockroaches or poisonous centipedes big enough to wrestle the Mortein can out of your hands? Darren, the electrician, popped up on the ladder to look in the roof cavity, then quickly popped back down looking a bit pale. "You may want to set off a bug bomb up there."
I lost count of how many blokes came and went today with trucks, utes, equipment, tools...bless them. I just kept handing out cold beer. Honey is obsessed with utes for some reason and kept getting in the guys' trucks hoping to go home with them. I wonder how she learned to do that? Hmm... Smokey has selected the back bedroom as his own and we have to work around him. The pool is filling as I write and I've got my queen bed set up on the back verandah under a mosquito net, with the bus backed in as my wardrobe & kitchen while we work on the house. The electricity is turned off until Friday because we found a scary mains lead or something (the owner has to pay for it) and Darren needs to have a lie down after his cockroach encounter.
Blokes kept turning up at random - Damien & John got out the chainsaw and took out part of the crappy front fence so we could get the bus in, and all my fridges etc turned up in various trucks. I think I achieved Legend Status by riding my bike down main street with the dog buggy filled with cartons of beer, wearing blundstones (Aussie work boots) and a blue singlet (Aussie outback uniform); there were cries of "Mate! Ya gotta see this!" from both pubs and people absolutely cacking themselves laughing; someone took a photo. I waved and got a few cheers.
The aboriginal kids are in love with the dog buggy and I can't go up the street without giving them rides in it. "Miss! Miss! Can I 'ave a go too miss?" Anyone who isn't riding pushes from the back so I don't even have to pedal. Everyone walking past the house stops to look at the bus & asks if they can buy it. I reckon it won't be long before I end up on some other nomad's blog as an "outback character"!
No comments:
Post a Comment